PDA

View Full Version : WNG's Barry Dixon

Tim Tackett
12-09-2007, 10:26 AM
The bio is for Barry Dixon. The only student still active who has been with me longer is Bob Chapman

Barry Dixon:
I started my martial arts training in Aikido in 1964 in Haddonfield, New Jersey. I next studied Judo in college 1971-1972 and earned my brown belt. I was fortunate to train with the Kung Fu Grandmaster Ark Y. Wong in Chinatown in 1973. He taught us Southern style Choi Li Fut. He gave me an introduction to study in the Philippines with master Ti Gi Pin in 1974. I was the only non Chinese allowed to train at the Taoist Temple. I learned Northern Choi Li Fut.

Winter 1974 I started learning JKD with Sifu T. Tackett in Redlands. We learned the working elements of Hsing-I, and Pa Kua. I started training with Dan Inosanto when Sifu Tackett took me to the Kali Academy on Saturday mornings. I trained with other students Jeff Imada, and Chris Kent. Tony Luna, one of Bruce Lee’s strudents, trained us. I had the opportunity to spar with Daniel Lee another of Bruce Lee's students and friends. During the week I trained at the Kali academy in Escrima. Sifu Tackett started me on Escrima, and learned some from Dan Inosanto. In 1975 I returned to the Philippines and learned Doce Pares Escrima from the Canete clan. Then 1984 I continued my training with Ciriaco Canete and learned Escrido. I learned my third degree black belt from Doce Pares in their system of Escrima/Escrido. Also I was one of the first JKD practitioners to fight full contact in July 1976. By winning in full contact I learned what was practical and what did not work in the ring.

I started teaching JKD in 1982. I also trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Pedro Carvalho in Riverside. I competed and won my matches during 1998. I learned the limitations of Jiu-Jitsu from this experience. I teach JKD from the combative mode. Although I have trained students to fight in the ring. I instruct them in the differences between sport and combat.

During my early training in JKD I studied Fencing in college. Even though I was a beginner, my JKD training and understanding of maintaining the centerline help me to win my matches. My Fencing instructor always asked why I used my rear hand to cover my face. He asked if I was afraid of getting hit in the face. I said yeah! I was unorthodox in my approach, but apparently effective.

98supra
12-09-2007, 10:52 PM
hey tim!,last i talked to him he wasnt teaching jkd in the area no more which was a bummer cause he lived in the same town as me,do you know if hes started up again? or is he still not teaching in my area anymore(lancaster)
thank you!

Tim Tackett
12-10-2007, 11:37 AM
He's going to be moving to Central California. We'll add his new contact info as soon as he's settled.