PDA

View Full Version : Code Of Ethics

Tim Tackett
09-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Here is the code of ethics that Bob and I agreed to under the old BLEF, and we still feel bound by. The BLF is looking at having its members subscribe to the same or similar code. The are asking us to look at the old code and see if we want to keep it the exact same or chage it in some way. What do you think? Here it is:

Code of Ethics

In an effort to promote unity and to eradicate the divisiveness and dissention that often attends the formation of any organization, we are united in the common goals of perpetuating the teachings of Bruce Lee, and promoting unity among instructors of his martial art, followers of his thought and understanding and tolerance among our general members. All members of The Bruce Lee Foundation agree to abide by the following Code of Ethics:
1) To always respect and protect the name and image of Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do and of its founder, Bruce Lee.
2) To have mutual respect for each member, and to refrain from making any negative comments about a fellow member. If a member has a grievance with another member, it shall be addressed in private, or, if both parties desire, with the Nucleus serving as mediator. The grievance shall not be debated in a public forum.
3) To share philosophical insights and technical knowledge freely with each other, in order to further enhance each person's comprehension of the teachings of Bruce Lee and/or efficiency in his martial art.
4) In martial art: To be fully responsible for the actions of your subordinates, assistants, associates, instructors, and employees, and to enforce a Code of Ethics that includes the guidelines set forth in this document. For example, if a member who happens to be a martial artist has a problem with a student of another member, they are to bring it up with that member for redress.
5) In martial art: To have respect for any other area of study or discipline a member may be involved in outside of Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do. In other words, if a member studies another martial art, their ability should be highly regarded, although any other discipline should not be referred to as Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do.

Lee C
09-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi Tim,

I think it is good as it is and not a lot needs to be changed. People adhering to it is where problems arise.

Lee

malex
09-14-2008, 04:51 PM
my question can look stupid but what is Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do and what is not ??

take care

* plus!

Tim Tackett
09-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do as defined by the BLEF and the BLF is the martial art that Bruce Lee taught with nothing else added.

malex
09-14-2008, 07:28 PM
does that include all the things he have tought from the very beggining when he was teaching almost just wing-chun to the end of his life??

chris2489
09-14-2008, 08:26 PM
So JFJKD is what Bruce taught and JKD is ones own individual expression of the art, assuming the philosophy of JKD is followed?

Leif T. Robekk
09-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Hi Tim.
It´s locking great, how can we become a member?

pauljkd
09-15-2008, 04:01 AM
You will have a job with the second one,JKDs rep seems to be about power mad instructors who say one thing publicly and nothing but crap about people they have never trained with OR met in privite!!
Some instructors will certify people they have never even trained with for money!
I mean if you have never trained with some one and i dont mean at a short 2-3hour seminar,How can you have a certifycat saying `personnaly trained`when they have not
I have even heard that some people have been told to lie about how much training they have done with people.
I have always found that if some one is being rude or saying that such an such has no ability its normaly becose that person is a hell of a lot better then them.
There are a lot of very good instructors out there who dont get involved with so-called big names becouse they our secure about themselves and do not seek approval,
Young men seem to need the pat on the head as you get older you see it for what it is,before any one thinks i am being rude here i do not include the wensday night group in this as i run non-profit class`s and i teach kids for free on all the routh houseing complexs in nottingham

ChocolateThunder
09-15-2008, 05:18 AM
Well observed, PaulJKD. Especially the bit about people being rude about pratitioners they feel are better than they are. Unfortunately, none of it is unique to JKD, but it would be nice if JKD was the first to rise above this kind of negativity

Tim Tackett
09-15-2008, 09:03 AM
The BLF is still in the process of deciding what to do and how to do it. Any input is welcomed.

Lee C
09-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Tim,

Is the syllabus going to focus on the Chinatown era ? It would be good to try and have a syllabus representing each school/period for a few reasons. Historically, for those that graviate and train in a certain era and for those that would be interesed in how Bruce Lee progressed and arrived at where he did.

Lee

Tim Tackett
09-15-2008, 01:15 PM
All 3 eras will be covered in depth.

pauljkd
09-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Please let the BLF do this soon as i have trained with a number of people and they were all different in how they did things and this included basic stuff as well.
What is needed is A SET SLABUS which covers what JKD is and what is not
and if the BLF do this it will stop all the make belive JKD.
One thing tho will all the 1st gen instructors be asked what BL showed them

Tim Tackett
09-15-2008, 01:42 PM
We pretty much already have what each 1st generation students learned from Bruce. There's not that many that actually trained with Bruce and learned something special from him.

Lee C
09-15-2008, 02:42 PM
It's good news to hear each era will have it's own syllabus. Any idea when these will be complete ? Who are the main contributors to the Chinatown syllabus ?

Lee

Tim Tackett
09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Don't know when it will be finished. A lot of it was done by everybody in the old BLEF. We are trying to get the input from a few more guys.
We already have a lot and just need to organize it.