PDA

View Full Version : Eric's Fight

Jeremy
02-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey Guys, I just wanted to congratulate our guy Eric Allen who has just won another boxing match. He fought a guy who was taller and out weighed him by more than ten pounds and he TKO'd him in the first round. He called me the night before his fight and we were discussing his battle plan. He had been robbed on two occasions (one where his opponent was bloody and Eric didn't have a mark on him) and we came to the conclusion that even though our Straight Lead is considered a power punch to us, it is is still just a jab to the judges. What I told him among other things was that he needed to drop him and make him pay every time he came in. I was glad to here that that is what he did. I have taught him to use JKD in the ring and he is really pulling it off.
Jeremy

idaho_jkd_club
02-22-2009, 11:57 PM
THAT IS SO AWESOME SIFU!

Congrads to you and Eric Allen, thanks for sharing! Eric is a talented individual and a bi-product of great instruction, KUDOS. I wish you both great success in the future. Having sparred against Eric many times, that long (how tall is he????) straight lead can be very frustrating to deal with. I am so glad he TKO'd the dude in the first round. Superb.

Your Humble student,

LOUIEB
02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Wow! Congratulations Eric! Man Jeremy, that is so awesome seeing the fruit of your instruction in such a stunning fashion. I remember When Eric started, and then how he got really good. And as Eric Bouche commented, his lead hand is a nightmare to get past! Good for him and you too Jeremy. I haven't worked out with you guys for a long time so I don't know what you are working on. Shawn King and I noticed a deficiency in our training several years ago, in that, when we practiced four corners we had that great first response, but we were slow to follow with other tools. We came up with a "more advanced?" four corners: 1) immediaely after intercepting with the lead you fire the rear straight. Make it a habit so your intercepting almost always has that rear hand following. 2) We would call out a number, 1-3, The number would correspond to the number of lead hand interceptions you would do before the rear hand goes. For instance, #2, two interceptions and the rear hand firing immediately on the 2nd interception. It's a lot harder than it sounds. You guys may be way beyond this, but I thought I would just share. Great Job guys!
-louie

Eric
02-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys, he wasn't the most experienced fighter but I'll definitely take the win. I should probably retire now. Like Jeremy said we'd been rethinking my strategy for the fight and I wanted to make sure I at least got the first combo in. That seemed to set the tone and after the first knockdown I was able to really keep the pressure on him and end it quickly.

Louie you're right on with that drill. We've been talking about how you can too easily get into the habit of just sticking the interception and then moving without doing anything else, so Jeremy's been having me really work following the four corners with a combo. Plus in these fights it seems you can get a big advantage by just utilizing forward energy and throwing combos even if every punch doesn't land cleanly. Not a groundbreaking insight I know, but its seems to have taken me a lot of training time to get to a point where I can even partially implement the idea in a fight.

LOUIEB
02-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you and Jeremy were on the same page as Shawn and I. That's not surprising, since we all came out of the same place. I think the effectiveness of the lead hand interception really handicapped us when wanting to throw immediate combos off of it. Looks like you guys figured it out too. Congratulatrions again. Man, Last May I had finally worked myself into good shape at the Boxing gym. I was about 13 pounds lighter, and I was doing real good against a Natianal champ and a pro. Unfortuneatly that's the last time I was there! Now I'm fat again! Those Champion Brothers would tear me up right now! I could always kick them I guess! Anyway I hope you keep fighting. If you stop. it's so hard to go back. Love to see how you would progress. Ever think of training at Freddie Roach's Gym in North Hollywood? You could spar with Pacqiao! Man, you'd really have a reach on him!

kuanti
03-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Congrats to both Eric and Jeremy! You both are amazing JKD'rs so its not surprising to me that you won.

Vince
03-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Congratulations Eric!

That kind of forward energy, with *aggression*, is something I'm really trying to work.