PDA

View Full Version : someone to point me in the right direction

axl816
06-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Hello fellow JKD'ers,

I've been lurking here for quite some time now. I've been reading and studying about JKD, since I was around 12. I am 22 now and more interested than ever. Despite my limitations in instruction(I don't have any instructors) and training partners(very few uncommitted), I still practice daily. Although there are a few MMA gyms and a boxing gym nearby, they are not JKD. I am not close minded in these particular martial arts, but I want to practice something more efficient for real combat(JKD).

So my dilemma is this, I would like to train with some people who are well versed in the art or at least interested in it. I'm trying to subscribe to Tommy Carruthers online lessons, since in my opinion, they are worth checking out. I would really like to have someone to point me in the right direction. But due to my location (South of the South) Mississippi. I am unable to get it consistently. I am really considering checking out Sifu Lamar in Birmingham. The only thing is a 5 hour drive weekly, isn't exactly ideal with my work schedule. I kind of feel like I'm venting and I'm sure I am not alone in this lol. I respect all of you guys even though we're all in our own process.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

a growing artist,
John Paul Daily

seangrant
06-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Hey John:

You may want to email Lamar and see if he recommends someone that may be closer to you before making that 5 hour one way drive.

Ron42
06-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Tommy's online lessons are really good. They're worth checking out.

LMD II
06-10-2009, 04:43 AM
Hello John!

I do a seminar every month on a Saturday from 2:00 to 6:00. Maybe you can start coming over for the seminars. The next seminar is the 20th of this month. Let me know if that interests you!

rkerbo
06-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Ted Wong has a guy in Jackson... if your interested shoot me a private message and I'll pass on the details.

Coincidentally... Ted is teaching seminar there this weekend!

Take care

IronFist87
06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
A weekly five hour drive would be a bit burdensome on anyone. My advice, if you are really leaning toward Lamar then it might be benificial to travel there once a month while trying to build a solid training group at your location. Then you could either teach them what you learn at Lamar's, or as a group you guys could travel together and offset your cost.

Just a thought.

LMD II
06-10-2009, 09:53 PM
That is a great idea! I have several students who travel quite a distance to attend my seminars. This is a great way to work towards getting up a training group and working towards Instructorship! I hope to see you here soon for some taining!

axl816
06-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm definitely going to start attending his (Sifu Lamar) seminars.

By the way, if anyone is on or near the gulf coast area of MS or AL. Let me know. I am always willing to work out with people who are as interested as I am.

Many thanks,
John Paul

FightingMethodJKD
06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
I train at HardCore JKD w/ Sifu Davis. I drive a little over 2 hours one way to train. I can honestly say that I never felt it was not worth it. With what I gain from training from him you can't really put a price tag on it.

Thanks Sifu..........