PDA

View Full Version : Please help im getting frustrated

Sti8
09-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Is there any instructer here that will train or guide me without charging?, I havn't got a penny to my name i spent all my money on 6 books which are :

-Tao of Jeet Kune Do
-Bruce Lee Fighting method vol 1-4
-The Art of Expressing the Human Body

The 90 what i get a fortnight from jobseekers :( pays for my board. I'm seriously intrested in jkd and i will put a 110% in the training so please someone help i've been practicing the front,side and back shuffle and i'm puddeld to what to do next:confused:

Nemai
09-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Where are you located?

LMD II
09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Sti8,

Please send me an email to Sifu@HardcoreJKD.com . Maybe there is some way that I can help you out!

JayVirdee
09-04-2009, 01:17 PM
As you using pounds I take it you are UK.

In that case where are you located?

Sti8
09-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Sti8,

Please send me an email to Sifu@HardcoreJKD.com . Maybe there is some way that I can help you out!

Thank you very much and yes i will email you and thanks again you don't know how much this means to me :D

Sti8
09-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Where are you located?

Im located in Bradford, WestYorkshire

JayVirdee
09-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Hmmmm

Im just thinking. Im in Loughborough but your pretty far away so meeting up for training won't work.

Im not sure how I can help you any ideas plus I am not an instructor.

BioDynamic
09-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I know exactly what it's like wanting to train but not having the money to be able to do so. And I expect so do many others. It's a simple truth that in this world most things are going to cost you, and learning anything, including Martial Arts, is no exception. And learning any Martial Art can be a costly business these days, with increased cost being no guarantee of increased quality when it comes to the instruction.

Many places I know of require a monthly direct debit payment for training as well as an annual membership fee. Everyone has to make a living, including full time instructors, and not many get rich from teaching JKD, but when it comes to the money to pay for it, if you haven't got it you haven't got it, and I know from personal experience how frustrating this can be.

My advice however is to get proactive and start looking at things in a more positive way. Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for them!

Money is tight and you can't afford lessons. Try finding out who teaches in your area. Get in touch with them and explain your situation, but rather than complain and ask for something for nothing, see if there's anything you can do to help as an alternative to paying for the lessons. I trained at a boxing gym for a while in return for cleaning the place.

Also, try to find a training partner fairly nearby, if possible someone with a little experience under their belt. Post your location on a few forums and put the word out, hopefully you'll have some luck. There are a lot of poor, lonely JKDers out there, training alone! You may only be able to meet up once every couple of months but that will still give you valuable training and things to take away and work on.

I do personally feel it would be good to bring people together anyway. Maybe you could instigate a nationwide network of training partners.

Have a think about things. See what you can bring to the table. You've got your books, now take some time with them. Study them. Work on the techniques. Every day. Over and over again. It's how an awful lot of us started. Work on your fitness. Work on yourself. Self improvement is part of the journey. And times are tough, but if you're able, work on finding work. And whenever you work, whatever you do, work hard. After all, that is the essence of Kung Fu.

We're all very lucky, there are many clips on Youtube and WOMA with all sorts of valuable information. Sifu Davis has clips, Sifu Tackett has clips, the WNG have clips. And so do many many more. There is a lot of good stuff out there, right at your fingertips, all for free. Delve into this forum, people are often discussing the merits of various clips out there.

There is so much available these days, it's easier than it ever has been to at least get a start even if you're on your own. So don't be disheartened. And give everything time. Be patient. Results of any kind may happen slowly at first, but don't give up, they will happen.

Remember, you only get out what you put in. Multiply anything by zero and that's all you will ever get. There isn't much worth doing that is ever easy and the struggle will make it all the more rewarding!

JayVirdee
09-04-2009, 04:50 PM
I know exactly what it's like wanting to train but not having the money to be able to do so. And I expect so do many others. It's a simple truth that in this world most things are going to cost you, and learning anything, including Martial Arts, is no exception. And learning any Martial Art can be a costly business these days, with increased cost being no guarantee of increased quality when it comes to the instruction.

Many places I know of require a monthly direct debit payment for training as well as an annual membership fee. Everyone has to make a living, including full time insrutctors, and not many get rich from teaching JKD, but when it comes to the money to pay for it, if you haven't got it you haven't got it, and I know from personal experience how frustrating this can be.

My advice however is to get proactive and start looking at things in a more positive way. Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for them!

Money is tight and you can't afford lessons. Try finding out who teaches in your area. Get in touch with them and explain your situation, but rather than compain and ask for something for nothing, see if there's anything you can do to help as an altenative to paying for the lessons. I trained at a boxing gym for a while in return for cleaning the place.

Also, try to find a training partner fairly nearby, if possible someone with a little experience under their belt. Post your location on a few forums and put the word out, hopefully you'll have some luck. There are a lot of poor, lonely JKDers out there, training alone! You may only be able to meet up once every couple of months but that will still give you valuable training and things to take away and work on.

I do personally feel it would be good to bring people together anyway. Maybe you could instigate a nationwide network of training partners.

Have a think about things. See what you can bring to the table. You've got your books, now take some time with them. Study them. Work on the techniques. Every day. Over and over again. It's how an awful lot of us started. Work on your fitness. Work on yourself. Self improvement is part of the journey. And times are tough, but if you're able, work on finding work. And whenever you work, whatever you do, work hard. After all, that is the essence of Kung Fu.

We're all very lucky, there are many clips on Youtube and WOMA with all sorts of valuable information. Sifu Davis has clips, Sifu Tackett has clips, the WNG have clips. And so do many many more. There is a lot of good stuff out there, right at your fingertips, all for free. Delve into this forum, people are often discussing the merits of various clips out there.

There is so much available these days, it's easier than it ever has been to at least get a start even if you're on your own. So don't be disheartened. And give everything time. Be patient. Results of any kind may happen slowly at first, but don't give up, they will happen.

Remember, you only get out what you put in. Multiply anything by zero and that's all you will ever get. There isn't much worth doing that is ever easy and the struggle will make it all the more rewarding!

Great post

JKD_08
09-04-2009, 06:19 PM

Many places I know of require a monthly direct debit payment for training as well as an annual membership fee. Everyone has to make a living, including full time instructors, and not many get rich from teaching JKD, but when it comes to the money to pay for it, if you haven't got it you haven't got it, and I know from personal experience how frustrating this can be.

Money is tight and you can't afford lessons. Try finding out who teaches in your area. Get in touch with them and explain your situation, but rather than complain and ask for something for nothing, see if there's anything you can do to help as an alternative to paying for the lessons. I trained at a boxing gym for a while in return for cleaning the place.

JayVirdee, Thanks for sharing.

Jose

D.Stachovak
09-05-2009, 02:45 AM
Lamar Davis is always open to questions. He's answered email questions from me and I'm not a member of his org,just some schmuck from the internet!

Also,any training you can get in your price range,even Taekwondo,will help you become familier with using your body in a "martial manner",this will help your self-instruction somewhat. See if you can find others in your area who might not be instructors,but might know a little more than you...

Good Luck!

"Hands are like Dicks,they're more effective when they're up" -Guro Crafty Dog

30rock
09-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi Sti8,

I'm in a similar situation as I have been out of work since May. Before I finished I decided I want to give JKD a try and so saved up and got my self up to my nearest instructor. Martin ran through all the basics with me. It was mostly stance, footwork, the four cornors and the basic tools. All of this can be found on Youtube to be used and much more that help you expand and there tonnes of kownledge here as well so Keep asking questions.

As has been said, practise the fundamentals (they are the key to being good at anything) and get yourself fit (I known it's Cheesy but I always say a healthy body means a healthy mind) and keep looking for work. At present I am getting nothing but rejects, but I keep plugging on as I known there is a job out there for me.

Just keep doing

James

D.Stachovak
09-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I hope things get better for you! Is that part of Europe hit harder in this depression? I'm glad I have a job at all,considering how things could be! Good luck too all of you...

I ran out of Crafty Dog Quotes...

30rock
09-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Off topic so sorry moderators.

Southern Ireland has been hit pretty bad do to our economic being based mostly on properity and development when the banks stop lending the building stopped and putting huge amounts of construction workers out of work and allot of related industries followed. Plus lesson tax being paid means the gov have less and we are welfare state of sorts there is an inbalance.

I am being positive and using to time to get fit, train in the martial arts(mostly solo at present) and get some long over due jobs at home finished. Things will improve I am sure of that.

Just keep punching.

James

michaelwolf
09-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Lamar Davis is always open to questions.

Yes he is! Back in summer of 1990 I think it was. I was working out of town in Dalton Georgia on the convention center being built. I was living alone in a run-down efficiency motel where I rented a room. I had just begun JKD training coming out of Wing Chun training. I read an article from Sifu Davis and at the end it had contact information including a phone number, so, having found the article useful I picked up the phone and called him. While I was down there in Georgia I had quite a few phone talks with Sifu Davis. He even took the time to follow up our phone talks with a few personal letters he mailed me. I found him to be a warm, funny, enjoyable individual to talk with. I also found him to be a knowledgeable, caring, and patient teacher. He answered my questions, gave sound advice, suggested all sorts of solo training drills since I had no partner to work out with. Never once did he ask me for a dime or toss me the sales pitch about joining anything. He did of course, extend the offer to come train with him if I could swing it but he sure wasn't a high-pressure salesman when it comes to martial arts. I always had the impression Sifu Davis is first and foremost a man totally dedicated to JKD and is pursuing something he loves with a great amount of passion. I've never been a formal student of his, and have only interacted with him a couple times since those phone talks all those years ago. I do give him credit whenever someone asks me about my training because he did surely have an influence on me in those early days. I hope he reads this post also and that it pulls up the memory and puts a smile on his face.

Michael

LMD II
09-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Hello Michael!

Thank you so much for the kind words, and yes, I am smiling right now! Remember that you are always welcome anytime you are close to one of my kwoons! Take care and God Bless!

ChocolateThunder
09-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Amen, Michael!