PDA

View Full Version : In Search Of Jeet Kune Do Training In Dallas

JustparaDOX
02-07-2010, 01:21 AM
I'm trying to find a good place to train in Jeet Kune Do, Jun Fan, Wing Chun, Kali in Dallas.

I'm close to 635 & 75.

Can you make any suggestions or help?

I found Crow Martial Arts in Carrollton that says it teaches JKD and I got a referal to Willie Wilson in Mesquite. I was just wanting to know if theres a good way to verify if instructors teach JKD or are certified.

I want to learn Jun Fan (Bruce Lee) and JKD.

I've got my black belt in TKD and trained in Brazillian Jui Jitsu, Aikido, Muay Thai and Greco-Roman/Freestyle Wrestling.

I've collected all Bruce Lee's books, movies & TV appearances. I also bought some jkd dvds & books to try & learn some principles. I had some books & dvds that featured ted wong, innosanto & others plus a some jkd entering trapping to grappling & concept books.

I would like to learn some trapping & wooden dummy techniques. Plus get a good foundation in JKD.

john hooper
02-07-2010, 11:13 AM
justparadox,

I teach Tim and Bob's old school jkd along with some muay thai and boxing at Willie Wilson's Modern Tribes in Mesquite. other classes are available. i'm happy to provide you more info. send me a private message and i'll get back to you.

Flash
02-07-2010, 09:16 PM
I've been training at Crow's for about 4 years and really enjoy it. Raymond Crow has JKD and Kali instructor certification from Dan Inosanto, Larry Hartsell and Richard Bustillo. He also teaches Silat, Muay Thai and Wing Chun. As a matter of fact, Willie Wilson began his JKD training under Raymond in the early 80's. I've met Willie several times over the years at various seminars held at Crow's, and I think he's an excellent teacher as well. Since you're at 635 and 75, you're roughly equal distance from both schools. You really can't go wrong with either one.

JustparaDOX
02-10-2010, 11:26 PM
I see Crow has a Kali event this weekend. It looks legit. I haven't been able to find info on willie wilson the jkd dallas site is blank. So yearh been looking at guy mezgers studio, but think jkd is really what I wanna learn jkd is the original mma all others are immitators

Tim Tackett
02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Willie's school #:
(972) 279-3055

john hooper
02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Willie's school #:
(972) 279-3055

number recently changed to: 214 498 0976

idaho_jkd_club
02-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Throwing in my two cents here.
JustparaDOX, it sounds like you live basically in the middle of the two schools. I suggest you go and try out both schools. Both men have a lot to offer and are very good martial artists ( I have seen Willie in person and I hear nothing but good things about John Hooper from my contemporaries). You should meet and workout with both of them and decide which one of them has a similar (or more compatible) personalty to your own. Sifu Kent once shared that this element is more important than the qualifications one has when choosing a martial arts instructor. I agree wholeheartedly, you will be more motivated to attend classes, be able to learn quicker and absorb more material from someone you personally can connect and relate too.

So give them both a try and let us know what you think back here on the forum.

Tim Tackett
02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
John Hooper is a student under Willie who is a full instructor under us. John is also recognized by us through Willie. It's not a matter of choosing 1 over the other as they work together.

Flash
02-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Throwing in my two cents here.
JustparaDOX, it sounds like you live basically in the middle of the two schools. I suggest you go and try out both schools. Both men have a lot to offer and are very good martial artists ( I have seen Willie in person and I hear nothing but good things about John Hooper from my contemporaries). You should meet and workout with both of them and decide which one of them has a similar (or more compatible) personalty to your own. Sifu Kent once shared that this element is more important than the qualifications one has when choosing a martial arts instructor. I agree wholeheartedly, you will be more motivated to attend classes, be able to learn quicker and absorb more material from someone you personally can connect and relate too.

So give them both a try and let us know what you think back here on the forum.

Raymond Crow told me that when he started at the Torrence Kali Academy in '79 a lot of his training was with Chris Kent. Apparently, Chris is quite adept at shin kicks.

Tim Tackett
02-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Chris is a very good JKD teacher. Raymond is a good guy and has been around for a long time as has Willie Wilson.

JustparaDOX
02-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Thank you for everyones input.

Glad I got two good contenders to check out. I saw some others who where questionable and haven't been mentioned so along with their stories being sketchy I'll avoid the pretenders and find out which of the contenders fits, locationally and as far as training that engages me.

I'm trying to get over a cold here. This snowy weather got me under the weather.

Thank you, Tim for weighing in. More people seem to mention Willie Wilson, but Raymond Crow (I keep thinking Raymond Chow owner of Golden Harvest filmes haha) seems to have an equally good program and repoir so I will take the advice to check them both out.

It seems one has begginner classes on Tues & Thurs and the other Wed & Sat. So once I'm feeling better I will check out both to get a feel for them.

Really I want some JF JKD training not MMA or just "concepts" they are "nice" and "good" even "essential" but they seem to be everywhere. I want to learn some of the authentic teaching that Bruce Lee taught for my own experience. I am interested in learning Jun Fan Gung Fu or JKD as it was taught and of course "concepts" is part of it.

I understand at one point Bruce Lee had some "Non Classical" sets/forms and Mook Jong routines. Which I would be interested to learn. Not sure anyone teaches those. I don't want to learn them as a "new" classical pattern. I just enjoying learning through immersion, not just theory.

I took a year of Spanish in High School but it wasn't til I spent two months in Spain that I was able to speak and understand conversationally.

So I guess I've seen ALOT of MMA artist who CLAIM JKD inspiration but they take the concepts so far out that it seems to miss some of the CORE of what Bruce Lee taught. Anyways, I've got a renewed passion for Martial Arts. I've trained before up to black belt in TKD, also trained in Aikido, Judo, Hapkido, BJJ, Wrestling, etc... but I'm looking for some true Jun Fan teaching and experience. Self taught some other concepts but TKD/Hapkido/JuiJitsu are a good base for MMA for me. I don't really want MMA anymore. I want a philosophers art or science. Krav Maga is good and brutal but not enough philosophy. I wanna use my brain more not just be a blunt weapon, though I do wanna be a blunt weapon.

After a car accident and back injury I've stepped back for obcious reasons. So I've gained weight and lost my lungs. So I need conditioning and to loss major weight. Like 80 or so additional pounds. Every thing is bigger in Texas including me. lol. I need to move back to Cali. haha... anyways. Its been about 10 years so I need alot of help conditioning. lol @ me. Its about time I get serious though.

Flash
02-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Raymond does teach MMA, but he does so at a separate location that is designated for his competition fighters. He doesn't pass off MMA as JKD concepts. His JKD classes are straight JKD as he learned it from Dan, Larry and Richard, among others he's trained with over the years. And whenever he shows something he's pretty good at telling you who he learned it from, so you get an idea of different instructors' approach to JKD and what they emphasize. Everyone has a slightly different take, but the overall structure is the same. His non-competition grappling material comes primarily from Larry Hartsell's curriculum (a lot of which can't be used in competition). He does teach Bruce's wooden dummy sets that he got from Larry, but he tends to reserve that for advanced students.

MARSJKD
11-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Hello justparadox,
I am starting a training group in N. Dallas.
I live at coit and Campbell.
Not commercial. If interested
Contact me at: 303-547-4472
Or dallasjkd@gmail.com

MARSJKD
01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm starting a non-commercial Jkd training group in north Dallas.
Coit/Campbell area
Call
469-834-6828

Kallis
01-14-2012, 06:48 AM
John Hooper is a student under Willie who is a full instructor under us. John is also recognized by us through Willie. It's not a matter of choosing 1 over the other as they work together.