PDA

View Full Version : Jeet Kune Do Training Online

Mike
06-30-2011, 01:54 AM
http://jkdlessons.com

There have been several discussions on this forum about the merits of online training/distance learning programs. Opinions vary as they always do... Well, the time has come to put it to the test.

We are proud to announce the launch of our online training portal, JKDLessons.com (http://jkdlessons.com/).

KabVyRvOcvM

These progressive training modules are taught by Sifu Jeremy Lynch and Sifu D.M. Blue.

Please visit http://jkdlessons.com (http://jkdlessons.com/) and sign up for FREE lessons! We would greatly appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Inside the Premium Members area:

http://jkdtalk.com/imgs/jkdlessons-membersarea.gif

http://jkdlessons.com/premium-member-sign-up/

One of the Premium Lesson pages:

http://jkdtalk.com/imgs/jkdlessons-membersarea2.gif

EChartier
06-30-2011, 03:25 AM
Excellent! Already signed up.

Tim Tackett
06-30-2011, 09:34 AM
For years we've been kicking around the idea of on-line lessons. It seems that we get a lot of emails from people who are looking for a JKD teacher near where they live, but there does not seem to be any. While nothing is as good as having a teacher right there teaching you, a good on-line training program may get a student started on a JKD program. He can always attend our camp or try and make it to any JKD teacher's seminars to assess his progress. While the majority of the lessons will be taught by Jeremy Lynch, both Dennis Blue and I will be giving some of the lessons also.

marcus
06-30-2011, 12:56 PM
i think its a excellent idea.

i looked at the vid about jut sao and i like it , finaly jkd in a more applicable way and not just 2 persons in front of each others that slap there hands . The way Jeremy puts his body securing the arm whit his neck while he do the palm hook , i like it .

the ,train like you fight fight like you train thing that i think is very important i see it for first time in drills in a more (original) oldschool jkd group.

great.

and of course i signed up

Sheever
06-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Signed up.

Mike
06-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Thank you guys.

Sheever
06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
just one question.
do you have any shematics to build up the online session or it can be change by the peoples Who signed up?
forexample We could write notes what to see and explained by you guys.

StevenR
06-30-2011, 02:39 PM
just one question.
do you have any shematics to build up the online session or it can be change by the peoples Who signed up?
forexample We could write notes what to see and explained by you guys.

Actually, there are some in the member's area for each lesson.

All the best,
Steven

D.Stachovak
07-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Excellent job guys! This a a real good idea. This is a great way to learn new things,tighten up things you already learned (me),or get started! Awesome job.

Mike
07-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Glad to hear you like it. Should you decide to become a member the lessons will be presented in a progressive format starting with the foundational footwork and striking and moving into combinations and methods of delivery from there.

As of now there are about 2 and 1/2 years worth of lessons covering the equivalent of ranks 1, 2, & 3 (or phases depending on the terminology you use).

dano
07-02-2011, 03:18 AM
very nice job. I have signed up.

D.Stachovak
07-02-2011, 03:38 AM
I am currently a member. Will this remain a free site or will there be a fee in the future? (for "premium" content). Thanks again!

StevenR
07-02-2011, 09:32 AM
There is "premium" content on the site.

There are weekly lessons, and each lesson has 3 - 4 videos (each video is about 10 - 15 minutes long). For each lesson there is also a worksheet for you to print out and take notes on.

For Level 1 there are over 30 lessons, which would mean there's over 15 hours of content just for this level.

All the best,
Steven

Sheever
07-02-2011, 10:05 AM
I am very interesting to see how forexample the snappy lead jab(hit lands before foot) followed by combinations.especially when the snappy one a follower of the groin kick then the combinations.

Mike
07-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Sheever, that's covered in the weekly lessons.

Sheever
07-02-2011, 02:42 PM
great thanks.
where can I order my question regarding some technical details?

StevenR
07-02-2011, 04:17 PM
great thanks.
where can I order my question regarding some technical details?

If you have specific questions, there's a contact form here:
http://jkdlessons.com/contact-us/

/Steven

Sheever
07-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks Steven

D.Stachovak
07-03-2011, 08:40 AM
There is "premium" content on the site.

There are weekly lessons, and each lesson has 3 - 4 videos (each video is about 10 - 15 minutes long). For each lesson there is also a worksheet for you to print out and take notes on.

For Level 1 there are over 30 lessons, which would mean there's over 15 hours of content just for this level.

All the best,
Steven

I don't see that,all I see is Pak sao and The Hook...

StevenR
07-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't see that,all I see is Pak sao and The Hook...

The videos you are seeing on the Pak and the Hook reside outside of the member's area that I mentioned earlier.

If you want access to the "members area" you're able to sign up here: http://jkdlessons.com/premium-member-sign-up/

All the best,
Steven

Mike
07-09-2011, 03:41 AM
We've decided to give away free basic membership so you can get a live look inside the premium members area...

Enter your info to get immediate access
http://jkdlessons.com/basic-member-signup/

Let us know what you think.

bbrooks
07-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Lessons are well put together and the format of the site looks good. One question, it says on the premium site that you will be doing testing. Which would make for an excellent supplemental way to test students. How will that be done? by video?

Thank you
God bless

B. Brooks

td15
07-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi

So are we looking at roughly 30+ lessons per rank or level for a total amount of about 90+ lessons?

Mike
07-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Lessons are well put together and the format of the site looks good. One question, it says on the premium site that you will be doing testing. Which would make for an excellent supplemental way to test students. How will that be done? by video?

For the student levels the testing can either be done in person or online to show that you know the material.

For the instructor levels (beyond 3rd rank) the testing has to be done in person.

Mike
07-09-2011, 01:18 PM
So are we looking at roughly 30+ lessons per rank or level for a total amount of about 90+ lessons?

Yes, for the first 3 levels there are over 90. After that the format of the lessons changes.

Sheever
07-09-2011, 01:39 PM
can not type any letter to the boxes to get access.

StevenR
07-09-2011, 05:55 PM
That problem has been fixed.

td15
07-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Yes, for the first 3 levels there are over 90. After that the format of the lessons changes.

Hi Mike

How exactly is the format different after the 90 lessons?

Howard
07-11-2011, 07:09 PM
How does the program work for someone at an intermediate skill level in JKD? Do they have to go through a set number of lessons per months, or can they study at their own pace?

Thanks,

Howard

Mike
07-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Hi Mike

How exactly is the format different after the 90 lessons?

Sent you a PM.

Mike
07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
How does the program work for someone at an intermediate skill level in JKD? Do they have to go through a set number of lessons per months, or can they study at their own pace?

Thanks,

Howard

In the near future we'll have blocks of lessons available. You could then pick and choose what material you get. As of right now we have the monthly option starting from the very beginning of the curriculum.

Kenjiro
07-15-2011, 03:27 AM
Hi!
When will be the second lesson released?

Regards

Mike
07-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi Michal,

You should get the 2nd lesson tomorrow (Saturday).

Hi!
When will be the second lesson released?

Regards

rick00770
07-17-2011, 12:22 PM
great stuff , im looking forward to the other lessons and to becoming a full member, although the video,s stuttered a little, i think its my flash player, i need to up grade, im gonna check them out on my smart phone too, really good stuff guys, glad you started it, congrats on a good idea.

Mike
07-17-2011, 12:47 PM
great stuff , im looking forward to the other lessons and to becoming a full member, although the video,s stuttered a little, i think its my flash player, i need to up grade, im gonna check them out on my smart phone too, really good stuff guys, glad you started it, congrats on a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback. Try turning off HD and see if that fixes the stutter.

EATmyFIST
07-19-2011, 10:42 AM
i think online lessons are fine as long as you have some training partners to work the material with.

marcus
07-31-2011, 10:22 PM
EATmyFIST , thats implied i think .Same if you take classes of any martial arts that have something to do whit fighting.Yet im sure someone can get a super good technique in boxing whitout having any parthner to train whit.

gjeetkunedo
08-02-2011, 10:02 AM
I want to thank you for Chinatown JKD! I really like how you put the lessons together, very easy to follow, congrats on your success!!

Mike
08-02-2011, 02:54 PM
I want to thank you for Chinatown JKD! I really like how you put the lessons together, very easy to follow, congrats on your success!!

Thank you!

Mike
08-26-2011, 03:13 AM
Update: Level 1 has been condensed to 25 lessons and all of them will be available on DVD soon as part of a 10 DVD set.

JKDenthusiast
09-04-2011, 03:01 PM
For the student levels the testing can either be done in person or online to show that you know the material.

For the instructor levels (beyond 3rd rank) the testing has to be done in person.

If I test in person, which instructors can I test with? Can I test with any official Wednesday Night instructor?

Thanks,

Marc

Mike
09-05-2011, 02:05 AM
We'll have a list of places you can test completed soon. Thanks for asking.

Mike
09-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Rank testing info is going up tonight/tomorrow in the members area (for free accounts as well).

Locations for testing are forthcoming.

JKDenthusiast
09-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Hi Mike,

I logged in and saw the information on testing.

Is the headquarters for JKDLessons.com the Redlands Wednesday Night Group?

Also, I like the idea mentioned in the testing guidelines of JKDLessons.com workshops.

Marc

Chad
09-09-2011, 01:25 PM
This is just like... A supplement to help people struggling, right? I mean, people would follow these lessons, in time with there own instructor, not just on there own?

Mike
09-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi Mike,

I logged in and saw the information on testing.

Is the headquarters for JKDLessons.com the Redlands Wednesday Night Group?

Also, I like the idea mentioned in the testing guidelines of JKDLessons.com workshops.

Marc

Thanks.

Regarding the HQ, no, but if you're in the Redlands area there are a few other places where the testing could be arranged.

Mike
09-09-2011, 05:50 PM
This is just like... A supplement to help people struggling, right? I mean, people would follow these lessons, in time with there own instructor, not just on there own?

It isn't just that, no. There are some people who use it that way.

Chad
09-10-2011, 11:09 AM
It isn't just that, no. There are some people who use it that way.

So, you're saying people could be graded just by following these online classes, without an actual instructor? Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm getting this right.

Mike
09-10-2011, 11:20 AM
They can be graded on certain things based on the online lessons while some require in-person training. It's explained inside the jkdlessons.com website.

Chad
09-10-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't think I agree with some of the things you're doing. I'm sorry man, but grading people without having an accurate idea of how skilled they are is a bit ridiculous. And I thought JKD was a process, so really you're teaching Jun Fan Gung Fu, right?

I think that videos like the kind you are showing are great as a supplement to proper training, so I'll sign up, but I think it's quite a bad idea to promote training without a qualified instructor there.

Sorry man, I'm just voicing an opinion (:

Mike
09-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't see a difference between grading a person by watching them perform techniques in person vs watching an unedited video of them doing the same thing.

If JKD is a process then why didn't Bruce Lee handle it as such? He had lesson plans and gave out ranking in Jeet Kune Do.

That said, I don't think you can replace one-on-one instruction which would include most group classes as well. I can guarantee you will learn more from this course than you will from any in-person group class out there. Private lessons are a different story.

Chad
09-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't see a difference between grading a person by watching them perform techniques in person vs watching an unedited video of them doing the same thing.

If JKD is a process then why didn't Bruce Lee handle it as such? He had lesson plans and gave out ranking in Jeet Kune Do.

That said, I don't think you can replace one-on-one instruction which would include most group classes as well. I can guarantee you will learn more from this course than you will from any in-person group class out there. Private lessons are a different story.

Well the thing about grading is that it should not be totally based on how well you can perform a technique. It should be on how well you can perfom under stressful situations such as sparring. Then you're just manufacturing these JKD practitioners who have never really sparred. It shouldn't be the technique, it should be the way the technique is set-up or when it should be used.

As far as I know, he handed out instructorships in JKD and Jun Fan Gung Fu. To be taught in person to small groups in a quality over quantity manner. I mean, I could be wrong, this is just as I understand it.

And as far as the qualtiy of instruction via internet vs Instruction with a JKD class, I come from a different lineage I think (Inosanto), and I think that my classes produce very competent martial artists.

This is all difference of opinion of course man, and I'm so glad I'm not getting flamed for this, I like this forum :D

Mike
09-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Sparring is part of the grading process, just not as important at our level 1 as it is later. I still don't see the difference between watching sparring in person vs watching an unedited video of it. If the instructor spars with the students then that's different, but not a lot of them do that (because of age or other reasons).

Also, most of the sparring clips posted on this forum are just kickboxing. Most of the sparring I see in JKD classes is the same. Maybe they add takedowns or chokes but rarely. In the end it doesn't have much to do with any real situation you'll be in anyhow so what are you really grading?

I can only think of one person that was given instructorship in JKD but others were given lower rankings (our student ranks are similar to those lower rankings).

As far as not being flamed, give it some time :)

Chad
09-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Well a key part of any good martial arts class is sparring. So right off the bat, they probably aren't sparring as much as they should/could be. We spar everyday at our classes, and because we have a good sized class (around 30 on average) we can spar with different people of different heights, weights and styles, and most importantly, experience.

If two people are sparring in a video and they are both starting JKD, then they BOTH don't really know what they are doing, so they are not sparring people with experience. Someone with experience can expose obvious weaknesses against an opponent, a new guy/girl can't. An example would be that, because I am quite tall, I can get the overhand right and land it more than other people in my class, the more experienced people can easily learn/adapt very quickly to this and it's not a problem. It's a weakness in there game when they drop there left hand when they cross with there right. Now against a new JKD'er I would more than likely have to tell them why I kept catching them with it.

It kinda becomes like the blind leading the blind ya know?

Some other issues are that if they are totally new to martial arts, then they might not even understand what sparring is, like the rules, the pace, how hard to go, and things like that.

You also can't advise them on technique. You can show them "this is how you do it" but you can't say "you are doing it wrong", or if they are sparring "stop dropping your hands".

These are kinda the biggest issues I have with it. :/

Oh, and in our classes, we don't get ranked, only Student and Instructor, unless it's BJJ, then we have belts ^^

Mike
09-10-2011, 01:43 PM
They get the same feedback with the online course as they would in person it just isn't real time. They are told when they are doing something wrong. That's the point of the testing, not just to give out rank but to see where they are at. If they don't meet the requirements they don't pass and they have to test again when they have fixed the problem.

As far as not sparring with experienced people... it's up to the student to find people to spar with and it isn't difficult. Most schools will let you come in and spar as long as you're not a jerk about it. There is always at least one martial arts school or boxing/mma gym around unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

So based on what you're saying I assume you don't think the Gracie's online program is a good idea either? Or how about firearms training online? http://panteaoproductions.com/

P.S. I've said before that I don't think people who receive online training only will turn out as proficient as someone who trains in person with a good instructor but I never tested that theory until now. We'll see.

Chad
09-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Well I would argue that because they aren't getting it in real time, or very often, that bad habits can develop easier, and if you only get a 5/10 minute video from them once a month, then that isn't nearly enough to correct all that might have went wrong that month. Getting out of bad habits is a lot harder than falling into them.

As for Gracies online acadamy, I think it is absolutely terrible. More so because BJJ is VERY complex, and when two white belts are rolling, they cannot be corrected by there partner, where-as if they were in a class then they could roll with higher belts and be told where they were going wrong. It's exactly the same principle.

I think that if they are going to other places to spar, then they might as well just take those classes, it will offer the chance to spar more, and become more aware of the learning process.

As for fire-arms training I wouldn't know, I have never held a loaded gun. I would point out though, that the fire-arms training is meant for points scoring (shooting at a target) so the student would see if it was working or not. :/

Mike
09-10-2011, 02:18 PM
I think that if they are going to other places to spar, then they might as well just take those classes, it will offer the chance to spar more, and become more aware of the learning process.

I don't agree with that at all. I think sparring with people who are trained differently is a lot more valuable than sparring with people doing the same thing as you.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Chad
09-10-2011, 02:21 PM
What part do you disagree with? I made a few statements there.

And thanks, it was nice to get an opinion across on a forum for a change ^^

Mike
09-10-2011, 02:26 PM
The quoted part about sparring at other schools. You said they might as well just attend that school. I don't agree. In my opinion it's more valuable than sparring with your classmates because the delivery system is going to be totally different (usually).

Chad
09-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Well it's open to interpretation, I said if they are going to other classes, they might as well take them. And besides, I offered it as an alternative to training with the same person taking the same online course. And even THEN, I would still disagree with you! xD I think that it is more important to spar with people more experienced than you, regardless of style, I mean, there are only so many ways a punch can come at you. (:

marcus
09-15-2011, 03:44 PM
i agree whit Mike , i think it can be more beneficial then group classes.

Chad
09-16-2011, 08:20 AM
i agree whit Mike , i think it can be more beneficial then group classes.

In what way?

jkdpadawan
10-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Update: Level 1 has been condensed to 25 lessons and all of them will be available on DVD soon as part of a 10 DVD set.

Mike, how many DVDs will these 1st 25 lessons will take? Any update on the date?

Thank you in advance!:clap:

td15
10-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Mike said in his post that it will be a 10 DVD set, the answer to your question was in your post :)

jkdpadawan
10-13-2011, 03:53 PM
:o. I thought that the 25 lessons were part of teh 10 DVDs not the whole set. Good then.

Mike
10-13-2011, 07:53 PM
The first level is 11 DVDs now. Same goes for the 2nd & 3rd.

Currently, you can buy the DVDs individually or as a set.

Here are the links to the individual volumes:

-Level 1-
Volume 1: https://www.createspace.com/319248
Volume 2: https://www.createspace.com/319518
Volume 3: https://www.createspace.com/319523
Volume 4: https://www.createspace.com/319525
Volume 5: https://www.createspace.com/319621
Volume 6: https://www.createspace.com/319831
Volume 7: https://www.createspace.com/323703
Volume 8: https://www.createspace.com/328585
Volume 9: https://www.createspace.com/328755
Volume 10: https://www.createspace.com/329182
Volume 11: https://www.createspace.com/329248

Check the descriptions to see what's in each lesson.

The DVD set can be purchased at http://jkdlessons.com

bloodycut
10-30-2011, 11:45 AM
good luck with your online lessons

Kframe
01-11-2014, 05:07 PM
What is a good way to structure the program? Say day 1 lesson 1 + ?. Day 2 lesson 1+ lesson2?

Basically should you do it like the Gracies Do at there academy and cycle through each lesson repeatedly? They will review the previous days work, then on to the next lesson. Say they are working on the mount position for Blue belt 1 stripe. They will go 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 then repeat for the next month or so.

I hope my question makes sense. Should I repeat lessons as needed?

I have had a interesting twist to my training. I have not had the ability to purchase the programs yet. My wife no longer wants to train, how ever, my father in law just had a major preventive surgery. A 5 way bypass and a valve replacement. He has not had any heart attacks, this prevented it. As he gets better, he wants to train this with me.

So Id like to come up with a structure to the lessons. We wont be rushing, only twice a week and at a slow pace till he has cardio and conditioning back and up to snuff.(which the doctors say he will be better then before) So the training for us will be lvl 1 and only as fast as he can maintain correctly and most likely slow at first for a long time.

Thanks guys for your input.

Mike
01-12-2014, 04:30 AM
What is a good way to structure the program? Say day 1 lesson 1 + ?. Day 2 lesson 1+ lesson2?

Basically should you do it like the Gracies Do at there academy and cycle through each lesson repeatedly? They will review the previous days work, then on to the next lesson.

That's a great way to do it.