PDA

View Full Version : JKD Training in Chicago?

jkdemcee
01-30-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm looking for an instructor with some direct lineage to one of Bruce's original students in the Chicago area (not the burbs). I recently contacted Barry St. John (jkd chicago school), who was certified under Poteet (RIP), but that didn't work out so well. Not to say he isn't a good instructor, but with my work schedule, I had to cancel one class and was late to another. He was very unhappy with me, and said that I wasn't welcomed back. I did send an extensive apology email to assure him I am serious and would make adjustments, no success. So if anyone knows of a good school/trainer/etc, I'd definitely be interested. I'm looking for classical JKD, but if there's an excellent concepts school, I'd be game. Appreciate any help tha can be provided.

TedSlayer
01-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Look up Mike Plachy, he has been without a school to teach at for a while now, but I talked to him last week and he said he was starting classes again soon. He is a great guy, and a fantastic teacher. He is also a full instructor under Sifu Jerry, and he actually started Barry's training many years ago. I think his website is down now but you can find him on facebook and send him a message.

jkdemcee
02-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Look up Mike Plachy, he has been without a school to teach at for a while now, but I talked to him last week and he said he was starting classes again soon. He is a great guy, and a fantastic teacher. He is also a full instructor under Sifu Jerry, and he actually started Barry's training many years ago. I think his website is down now but you can find him on facebook and send him a message.

I found Mike's facebook page and plan to shoot him a message. Thanks for your help with this. I actually received a reply back from Barry, so it seems he wasn't as difficult a guy as I thought. He said I can come back and train, so it would seem now I have two options to choose from. Again I appreciate your reply and definitely can't wait to start training.

marcuscharles
02-08-2012, 10:10 AM
What area in Chicago are you at? I teach JKD at 4 different locations. If interested you can reach me Marcus Charles at 708=296=4221. Thanks - hope to hear from you.
Here are my credentials:

CREDENTIALS:
* Midwest Director of Progressive Fighting Systems
* Senior Instructor under Paul Vunak
* Senior Instructor under Thomas Cruse
* Full Instructor Under Larry Hartsell
* Illinois Director for JKD Grappling Association
* Apprentice Instructor under Dan Inosanto
* Coach 1 under Erik Paulson
* Affiliate of CSW
* Affiliate Instructor under Rick Fayes MKG
* Advanced Boxer under Achour Esho
* Instructor Candidate under Francis Fong
* Pekiti Tirsia International
* Giron Escrima Affiliate
* Marcus also studied under Keith Wetosky, David Hatch, John Spezzano, & Tony Checchine

marcuscharles
02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Hi this is Marcus again - I just thought you might be interested in participating in a different style of JKD. As I posted previously I am hosting a seminar with Raye Faye- I think you will be impressed. If you are interested please contact met at 708=296=4221. http://www.marcuscharles.squarespace.com

JKDbyNik
02-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Depending on what area you are in...I would be happy to make a few suggestions.

1) Marcus Charles at Hackney Academy in Roselle. I think he gave his website already.

2) Mike VanBeek (Hyperformance Martial Arts) http://personaltrainingmartialarts.com/contact_us

3) Me (Ballistic Fighting Methods) in the Elgin, IL area
www.ballisticfightingmethods.com

4) Pete Juska
http://s89809122.onlinehome.us/csmma/Juska.htm

These are all guys I know well, and have trained with plenty of times to tell you that they are all great guys, and great instructors.

steve.
05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
I trained with berry for a year his knowledge is out standing and he teaches try jkd however the guy is a jerk and me and over half the class left for that reason. It's hard to find legit teachers in Chicago Fred was also certified under Jerry but he will never leave berry you might just have to take a drive to find a good teacher.but honestly i wouldn't and i didn't go back because if his attitude.

But i will atty this he is still very young he may mellow when he gets older. And if you can look past his bad attitude his teaching is second to none

Nieds8
06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
I am training under Barry and I think he's a nice guy. He likes to joke around with students on occasion but not with bad intentions... Plus he's very knowledgable, certified under Jerry and trained in a few other martial arts as well.