Jeet Kune Do Talk  

Go Back   Jeet Kune Do Talk > Jeet Kune Do > Jeet Kune Do Forum
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 07-28-2006, 05:47 AM

(Thread Author)
Default Jeet Kune Do vs Krav Maga/Systema

JKD is to me way better than Systema or Krav Maga but......................
are Systema / Krav Maga, etc offering a lot that JKD does not?

1) Can JKD be learnt as fast as Krav Maga? NO probably not. So if student comes to learn self defence fast & get decent standard in few months, can a JKD teacher do it for them???? If for e.g. JKD teacher starts off with footwork, basic boxing hands, kicks, etc & the Krav Maga Instructor goes right into escapes from holds/knife defence/gun defence/multiple attackers/whilst teaching basic tools - hands, kicks, etc - which is better in the short term?

2) Do many JKD Instructors teach Gun defences? Besides run or hide. If close range & you are going to get shot, do many teach defences? As in KM / Systema , etc they teach a lot.

3) Does JKD require more Athletic Abilty than Krav Maga/Systema, etc? As Bruce Lee especially later on reached SUPERHUMAN physical levels & could do things others can't! e.g. average person trying foot to foot side kick is going to miss or get countered as they won't have the rapid speed or timing to pull it off in real fight. So is KM etc more suited to the Average person for Self Defense?

4) Do many JKD teachers, teach about Travelling abroad - dangers & tips, carrying fake wallets, psychological strategy - dealing with fear / talking with attacker, plane hijackings/car jackings tips, etc? As in KM they do all that obviously.

5) The big one : Is Krav Maga, Systema , etc better at MARKETING themselves as a Self Defense System for the average person??? How can JKD raise its marketing to a level to compete with them??? Average person I think sees Krav Maga (used by Israeli forces, etc) as being more Self Defence orientated than JKD, Karate, Kung Fu, Aikido, etc (?).
Old 07-28-2006, 05:51 AM

(Thread Author)

Meant to add - average student no prior martial arts experience wants to learn Self Defence , and goes to Krav Maga for 2 months & JKD for 2 months, which one would he come away with saying he learnt the most or felt better at defending himself with????

My opinion Krav Maga, even though overall I think JKD is better. Most JKD people I know teach all the tools - hand , foot, kicks, punches, focus mitt/bag drills, etc in first couple of months; no different than what you would learn at a Tae Kwon Do , Karate school - I mean no diff. as in stances/footwork/punches, etc you learn at all them.

If that is the case shouldn't JKD Instructors be more Self Defence than 'Art' orientated, and be able to get people to higher standard in shorter time periods.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
JKD Instructor

Actually the punches, kicks, and stances are much different than the other arts you mention. We do work on gun and knife defenses as well and most of us shoot guns. I think that Krav Maga is good also. Where do you study JKD, and who is your teacher? And who was your teacher's teacher? I like to know how informed people who talk about JKD really are?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:25 AM

We basically live in a gun toting society.Although i do know some teachers from different arts that choose not to teach gun defense and that may be an individual choice.I do believe that it is nessessary to not only to learn how to shoot but know how to "SAFELY " disarm someone with a gun as well.But I also tell my students the risks of trying to do it,and if they feel that they don't want to risk doing the disarm then don't.if they do they better be fast as Jet Li or Bruce to pull it off because you only have one time. Mike Sheng
Old 07-28-2006, 12:08 PM

(Thread Author)

Tim,

I know punches, kicks, etc are very different in JKD than the other arts I mentioned but the pint I was making on teaching formats!

Tae Kwon Do / Karate first few months :- basic stances, blocks, kicks, punches, guards. 1/2/3 step sparring. Basic self defence. Pattern/form.

JKD first few months : basic stances, blocks, kicks, punches, guards. Basic self defence.

That was the point like Karate or TKD, in JKD you learn those basics inb first few months. You DO NOT learn all you would learn in Krav Maga in first few months - nor is it related to self defence as directly as KM is.

If you can go to KM and learn a lot more & become more prepared for street attack in short space of time, than JKD, Karate, TKD, etc - shouldn't JKD instructors be changing the syllabus in first few months to compete with the likes of Krav Magfa, etc.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
JKD Instructor

I don't worry about competing with any one as we are a non-profit group and could care less about how many students we have. Where, when and from whom did you learn JKD.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:13 PM

(Thread Author)

Tim,

You misunderstand me again - did not mean competing in monetary terms, I meant competing in grabbing the average persons attention. Krav Maga advertising is way slicker than any JKD, it also looks more of a reality based self defense system than JKD to the average person.

My background :-

Tae Kwon Do 3rd Dan ITF.
Mike Lee trained 4 years with him (Jesse Glover's brother for anyone thinking who is that)
Emin Boztepe 2 year private student & classes.

Seminars : Wong Shun Leung, Leung Ting, William Cheung, Dan Inosanto, Patrick Strong, Howard Williams, Emin Boztepe. Paul Vunak, Chris Kent.

Videos/DVD's : Pretty much all by Paul Vunak, Patrick Strong, Dan Inosanto, Rick Young, Ron Balicki/Diana Inosanto, Ted Lucaylucay, Emin Boztepe, Leung Ting, Joe Lewis.

Books : pretty much everything out there on JKD - yours , Chris Kent's, Paul Vunak, Dan Inosanto, Jeff Imada, Ron Balicki , etc. Masses on Wing Chun & similar too - Keith Kernspecht , Leung Ting, William Cheung, etc.

With Seminars/Videos/Books practiced a great deal of the stuff hard too, not just learnt it at seminar & forgot it or read a book without practice.

Emin Boztepe is Wing Tsun & Latosa Escrima, Mike Lee is Non Classical Gung Fu or Novo, he wasn't much into names.

In terms of seminars been to the most with Dan Inosanto , and Emin Boztepe.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
JKD Instructor

My group really doesn't care if we grab the average person's attention. JKD is probably not for the average person. Our group is probably as large as we want it to be. Keep the group small and the quality high. You have a good background in JKD. Keep learning.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:42 PM

Rocksolid.......Jeet Kune Do isn't for the mass audience........Secondly "WHAT YOUR POINT".......Show some respect first of all, if you want to have some merit .......Personally this is just your opinon and also it depend on the Istructor like anything else.......

Take"IT" Easy,
Old 07-29-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Hey Rock

Hey Rock,

where are you from?

best
Rolf