Jeet Kune Do Talk  

Go Back   Jeet Kune Do Talk > Jeet Kune Do > Jeet Kune Do Forum
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 PM

(Thread Author)
Default Octavio Quintero

Ive only recently discovered Octavio through Jerry Poteet. Wow this guy looks extremely fast. Mr Poteet has done a great job with his teaching. Ive found only some short videos of Octavio but he looks extremely good. Does he have any dvds that are out because i cant find any. Any other info would be great about the JKD teacher.

Regards,
Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
JKD Instructor

He's a very nice guy. I think his JKD is very solid. I agree that Jerry did a good job training him.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:16 PM

Octavio has a DVD entitled "Explosive JKD." You can get it from budovideos.com
Old 03-20-2010, 03:57 PM

(Thread Author)

Yeah I tried to order the DVD but it's out of stock. Hopefully they get it back soon
Old 03-21-2010, 03:39 AM

Default insidekungfu videos

It looks like he might have some thing at Inside Kung Fu. I don't know for sure, but if you like his stuff, I guess its worth checking out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UdIO2QYq9c
Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 AM

Default A clip of OO

Below you will find a link to really the first clip I've seen of Octavio in which his Jun Fan really impressed me to be completely honest. He has a nice pendulum step that allows him to cover distance well. He is very quick and his hands impress me much more than his kicks. I understand he has strong opinions about JKD that differ quite a lot from my own,but he seems like a nice enough guy and if he came to my area and I had the extra cash I'd certainly plunk it down to go train with him.

However I think he is phenomenally wrong headed (at least in the clips I've seen) in his response to takedown defense, especially given the stance he favors. A half-way decent grappler will continue to put pressure on and at least come up with a single leg (because the way OO drops his weight to affect the hit on the neck presents that lead leg). Even a very determined knucklehead may plow on and finish the tackle, or back you into a wall. Its not that there aren't answers to those problems, but OO and many others besides seem to not realize the problems exist. The brachial hit is great, but when the adrenenal glands are pumping, and endorphins get dumped it may not stop someone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KFmkqtMPd4
Old 03-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
JKD Instructor

It's not that easy to stop a guy who is determined to take you to the ground. It's hard to practice against, as to really stop them sometimes you have to really hurt them, and that may not even work. It's a difficult thing to practice realistically, but if you don't, you may end up with a false sense of security.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tackett View Post
It's not that easy to stop a guy who is determined to take you to the ground. It's hard to practice against, as to really stop them sometimes you have to really hurt them, and that may not even work. It's a difficult thing to practice realistically, but if you don't, you may end up with a false sense of security.
Tim,one of your greatest strengths is that you can see the advantages and disadvantages in what you do.

Honestly,I've been taken down so fast I did not realize what happened until I was on the ground! I just "bug out" to guard against really strong pressure. I'd rather be in my guard than under full mount!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Default My 2 Cents

First of all I freaking love this forum, I wish only that there was more technique stuff, and details about mechanics. Ive posted on several threads concerning either Octavio or his Lineage through Jerry Poteet.
So this is a response to IronFist87, I definitly see how someone could crash the line and tackle, the take down defense you see in this clip is paired with Chi Sau training, and would not be a one shot to the neck and hope the guy stops charging kind of thing, its more to create a bridge (that also hurts the opponent), and it sets up another hit realy well. If your familiar with a realy rooted, great body structure Tan Sau, and the controll you can impose an someone with it using forward pressure, then you will have a good idea of what its like to use this particular take down defense. Also this defense wouldnt be used if the guy was coming in lower, there are several take down defenses that we use, but all of them set up hits, none of them work like the sprawl, thats what he was trying to show in the clip. Always think of hitting.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 PM

BRCLRY,

I've seen OQ show that as a takedown defense in more than one Video.

I am very familiar with the Tan Sau but am also VERY familiar with a good Takedown.
You can be as rooted as you want but you will shortly be staring at the sky
You have to MOVE and move quickly.

If you are going to compare a highly developed Wing Chun technique it needs to be compared to a highly developed Wrestling Technique.

I can tell you with much confidence that any decent High School wrestler (or Football player) would blow right through that defense.
They are also quite accustomed to being Hit on the Head and Neck as they come in for a Takedown or Tackle.
They practice their Takedowns and Tackles (AGAINST A FULLY RESISTING OPPONENT) literally hundreds and thousands of times.
It is their Bread and Butter.

Please also keep in mind that Steroid taking Athletes are the one's that are most likely to start fights.

PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.
Try it out for yourself with someone that knows how to do a proper takedown (I have).
I train this stuff 3-5 times a week.

Here is an example of Josh Koschek (former NCAA Wrestler now a UFC fighter) doing it where he is coming in from too far out with his head down and it still works. They actually WANT you to push against them (rocks you on your heels) or try to Knee them in the face (hands your Leg to them).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdTr9...eature=related

Also check out Randy Couture takedowns:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N94W2...eature=related