Jeet Kune Do Talk  

Go Back   Jeet Kune Do Talk > Jeet Kune Do > Jeet Kune Do Forum
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 08-29-2017, 09:34 PM

(Thread Author)

For head hook kicks, what's the best part of the foot to attack the head using a hook kick? I can only think of instep because of it's reach and it feels natural, but I'm not sure about the lower shin. Do you have to be completely pivoted to hit with the shin on the high hook kick or something? I always find either the ball of foot or instep is more natural and ideal, but of course, what if I wanted to deliver a heavy one that drives through with the shin?

Also, Joe Lewis one time said Bruce Lee was teaching people how to hit people with the hook kick using the ankle bone? Does anybody have any idea what that's about? I have no idea how one does a hook kick using the "ankle bone" or whatever it is
Old 08-31-2017, 11:18 AM

That strike with Lee's ankle into the side of Ohara's neck, just before he finishes him off in ETD, comes to mind.

Holly Holm's ankle kick to the side of Ronda Rousey's jaw is another one that comes to mind.

It is often used in Muay Thai and MMA.

Depending on distance, and given the greater certainty that, as with a Palm Smash, it is much more likely score on it's intended target.

Cro Cop was really good at covering his unleashing of it, until it was too late for his opponent to evade it's "lights out" effect.

In fact, Gonzaga basically ended Cro Cop's reign with an unexpected inside ball/ankle of his right foot hook kick to Cro Cop's head.

Sort of like Muay Thai's Cutting (intercepting or leg obstruction) Kick, but higher.

Note in this video, various aspects of jkd-like deployment - straight blast, hook ankle kicks, pac saos, four corner principle, right lead pendulum straight kick, you name it.

Top 20 Knockouts in UFC History:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx0vrMHPHg4&app=desktop

"Jeet kune do is the result of all I have learned, plus my evaluation of it...hack away the unessentials" - Bruce Lee

Last edited by Jeet; 08-31-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:35 PM

(Thread Author)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeet View Post
That strike with Lee's ankle into the side of Ohara's neck, just before he finishes him off in ETD, comes to mind.

Holly Holm's ankle kick to the side of Ronda Rousey's jaw is another one that comes to mind.

It is often used in Muay Thai and MMA.

Depending on distance, and given the greater certainty that, as with a Palm Smash, it is much more likely score on it's intended target.
Hey thanks for the detailed reply, definitely cleared things up. However, I searched up both kicks from Holly Holm and Bruce Lee and they both look like instep to me. Is it not? Maybe I'm confused and I don't know what an instep is, but I thought that was instep.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extravagant View Post
Hey thanks for the detailed reply, definitely cleared things up. However, I searched up both kicks from Holly Holm and Bruce Lee and they both look like instep to me. Is it not? Maybe I'm confused and I don't know what an instep is, but I thought that was instep.
They tend to look like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hU3ll4VcGY&app=desktop

https://sifudw.files.wordpress.com/2...01716-kick.jpg

And take a look at 1:00-1:16 on this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq81Oy3noGo&app=desktop

Last edited by Jeet; 09-02-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Sponsors
This forum is supported by: This forum is supported by:
Jeet Kune Do Training Martial Arts Videos & DVDs
JKD Lessons delivered via streaming video
Martial arts videos available for instant download