Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
JKD Instructor

The one in front is the one you will use the most to intercept
Old 05-20-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extravagant View Post
In a way I can relate because my left sidekick is way more comfy and fluid than my right leg. I think it's mainly because my right leg does a better job at being the supporting leg during the kick. However, I still use the right side because I'm right handed and it wouldn't change the economy of motion principle.
If you are right handed, try writing with your left hand - the DRASTIC difference is THAT drastic as to this question.

Such people are "wired" differently.

The thing is to seek out what ever edge that kind of thing results in.

And there are other kinds of "handedness" or "dominance."

Again, BL's JKD had been designed by him; for him.

And though he had obviously emphasized different aspects of the same basic framework with each student towards maximizing each their particular strengths, obviously he had never encountered one who had that kind of difference in "handedness."

It's an interesting "problem."
Old 05-31-2017, 06:12 PM

From an interview with Joe Hyams:

"You probably are not aware of it, but my left leg is almost one inch shorter than the right. That fact dictated the best stance for me, my right foot leading. Then I found because the right leg was longer, I had an advantage with certain types of kicks, since the uneven stomp gave me greater impetus." Bruce Lee

So, in my humble opinion don't try to make your tools "fit" into something. Find out through study and refinement how best your tools express themselves.

What are the advantages of your right lead with hand techniques? What are the advantages if you use a left lead with your leg techniques? Some people are more natural kickers and you might find that the left leg lead allows you better use and strategy to support the hands. Others are better punchers and you can use the right hand lead to support utilizing the left leg kick, which is more powerful in the same manner that a boxer uses his jab to set up the more powerful right straight punch.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:08 PM

I would put it very simply by saying, great to be able to fight with rignt and left leas, but ther will eventually be an emphasis on one or the other. So the one you'd normally intercept with, should be your lead. JKD is not about long tournament matches where there is going to be much time for feinting, and checking out the opponent. It is more about zero-go-boom ... fight over, like they tend to take place in real life.

I personally have one more reason for having most emphasis on the right lead: I don't want to work with three different footworks depending on if I use stick, knife and short impact weapons, or empty hands. What knives are concerned mainly base my stuff on elements of Kali and Italian stiletto fighting meaning some of it more about thrusting and parrying with the knife only. So the lead hand is the knife hand - and also the one for a straight lead and firnger jab.

I know the guys from the JKD Wednite group have a very good reason for not being as much into sticks and knives as I am. But where I live, the laws are different.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:56 AM

I'm a southpaw, but the martial arts world, like so many others, is majority right-handed. So in more traditional boxing and martial arts training, I've always had to be ambidextrous in working with partners. Consequently my kicks developed pretty evenly, with my left being slightly better. Punching is another story- as a lefty, a right lead is more natural for me, and my right jab is stronger. So I generally train & fight right lead.
Train both sides, and your "weaker" side will still be good.

Sponsors
This forum is supported by: This forum is supported by:
Jeet Kune Do Training Martial Arts Videos & DVDs
JKD Lessons delivered via streaming video
Martial arts videos available for instant download